Tuesday 22 September 2009

Weekend Travels

This weekend we went up to Newcastle to visit my sister. It was the first time I've seen her new house, and I fell in love with it. It's in the middle of a harbour, right on the edge of the Tyne, and it's such a pretty spot.
She took me to one of the best bead shops I've ever been to. It's called Lebeado, and there is one in Durham and Covent Garden too. I was really pleased to see the shop was very busy, and it was nice to see people sitting in the shop making necklaces and bracelets, such a vibrant, crafty atmosphere.
After that we ventured into the Northumberland countryside, so peaceful and green. I love the countryside, it's where I feel happiest. We thought we were going to run out of petrol at one point! We couldn'd find a petrol station for miles, and when we did find one it had closed at one o'clock, on a Saturday! That's the charm of the countryside! We eventually found one so all was well.

We visited a Roman fort, and saw bits of Hadrians wall.


On Sunday we went down to the start of the Great North Run. I felt completely choked up when I saw all of those people set off on the 13 mile half marathon. It was surprisingly emotional. So emotional that we decided to train for it and attempt it next year! I will keep you posted on the training progress.

After the race we hit the shops then went down to the river to have a look at the Sunday market. It was one of the best open air craft markets I've ever been to. They sold everything, from wonderful mosaic heart shaped mirrors, to button necklaces and crochet hats. I was so busy browsing and buying, that I didn't take any pictures. So you will just have to take my word for it and make sure you visit it if you are ever in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment